Nice to Meet You: Speculoos Spreadby matkonation | 14.02.13
By: Deanna Linder
Danya and I have been so busy working on different projects this past month (cookbooks, blog-stuff, magazines, etc.). One of our recent projects was a recipe booklet that was produced by the Israeli culinary magazine, Al Hashuchan, for a new item that just hit the supermarkets here in Israel, Speculoos Spread. We’ve had Biscoff Speculoss cookies readily available for some time now, but the spread, oh the spread has just finally made it here!
It was hard to choose only two recipes to share with our readers, they were all so good! Here are two of our favorite recipes, created by the fabulous Chen Shukrun.
A big thanks to Yaara Nir Kahlon– her ceramic dishes make food look so beautiful.
Speculoos Truffle Pops
Ingredients for about 35 pops:
1 package (250 grams/ 9 oz.) Biscoff Speculoos Cookies
100 grams/3.5 oz. blanched almonds
100 grams/3.5 oz. speculoos spread
1¼ cups (225 grams) cream cheese
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
35 lollipop sticks
For the topping:
300 grams/10.5 oz. dark chocolate, melted
2-3 tablespoons ground Biscoff Speculoos Cookies
Using a food processor, blend together the speculoos cookies and almonds until finely ground. Place the mixture in a bowl and add the speculoos spread, cream cheese and powdered sugar.
Using your hands, knead the mixture together until smooth. Cover bowl and refrigerate for one hour.
Remove from the refrigerator and use your hands to make 1-inch diameter balls. Place the balls on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and place a lollipop stick in the center of each ball. Place baking sheet in freezer for 30 minutes.
For the topping: place the melted chocolate in a tall and narrow cup. Remove the truffles from the freezer and dip each one in the melted chocolate, allowing the left-over chocolate to dip back into the cup. Place the dipped truffles on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and evenly sprinkle over the ground cookies. Place in the refrigerator until the chocolate has hardened.
Ingredients for about 25 cookies:
For the dough:
7 oz./200 grams butter, softened and cut into cubes
3.5 oz./100 grams powdered sugar
10.5/300 grams flour
1 teaspoon speculoos spread
1 egg yolk
For the filling:
7 oz./200 grams speculoos spread
4 tablespoons ground Biscoff Speculoos Cookies
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Prepare the dough: Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the butter, powdered sugar, flour, and speculoos spread on medium speed for about 2 minutes, until large crumbs form. Add the egg yolk and continue to mix just until dough is formed.
- Using your hands, shape the dough into a ball and slightly flatten it out to form a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to about ⅛-inch thick. Using a 3-inch/8 cm. round cookie cutter, cut circles out of the dough.
- In the center of each circle place a heaping teaspoon of the speculoos spread and then top with a pinch of the ground speculoos cookies. Make a triangle shape with the dough, making sure the edges are pinched tightly together (otherwise they will open during baking) and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place baking sheet in the freezer for 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 340ºF/170ºC.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until slightly golden around the edges. Allow to cool to room temperature before serving. Before serving, sprinkle on the powdered sugar.